Well, currently I’m out of reading material. No, that’s a lie. I have +/- 5000 e-books available at my fingertips. But no books/stories that are currently waiting with baited breath to be read. No stories calling me, longing to be held and read.
I usually read two or more books at a time, depending on how I feel. If it’s a gripping read, I’ll finish it on it’s own. If it’s not, I’ll start reading something else as well.
I’m a compulsive reader. I read everything! Literally everything. I don’t always take it in, but I read it. Or at least scan it. My little bit of OCD.
I’ve recently read (finished alone – one by one):
- The hundred year old man by Jonas Jonasson (nice and weird)
- Theodore Boone – The Activist by John Grisham (nice enough)
- Inferno by Dan Brown (a bit disappointing)
- Deeply Odd by Dean Koontz (ok’ish)
- The Childhood of Jesus – JM Coetzee (very weird)
- I am Ozzy – Ozzy Osbourne (interesting read and very funny)
- Die blou van onthou – Marita van der Vyver (talked to my heart)
- My kort vir jou sop – compiled by Trisa Hugo – short stories (some interesting, some not)
- Winter of the World – Ken Follett (cool)
- Fall of Giants – Ken Follett (cool)
- Stonehenge – Bernard Cornwell (loooong read)
- Song of Fire and Ice – George RR Martin (A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Feast of Crows, A Dance with Dragons) – (very, very cool!)
- The Long Earth – Terry Pratchett (ok’ish)
- Jack of Diamonds – Bryce Courtenay
- Napalm and Silly Putty by George Carlin
- Motherhood, the second oldest profession – Erna Bombeck
- Philida – André P Brink
- Die Besoeker – A Troskie
- Outlander – Diana Gabaldon
- Jackdaws – Ken Follett
- Jeremy Clarkson – various
- The Kite Runner – Khaled Hosseini
- Saxon 1 – The Last Kingdom – Bernard Cornwell
- When will Jesus bring the pork chops? – George Carlin
- Wilt – Tom Sharpe
- Who moved my Cheese – Spencer Johnson
Audio-book in the car:
- The Orphan Master’s Son by Adam Johnson (almost finished) – depressing life in North Korea
Waiting on my reader:
- Joyland by Stephen King
- Wally Lamb’s 4 books which I’ve downloaded this morning – (I know this much is true, She’s come undone, The hour I first believed, Wishin’ and Hopin’)
Waiting for publication:
- The Winds of Winter – A Song of Fire & Ice – George RR Martin
- A Dream of Spring – A Song of Fire & Ice – George RR Martin
- The Long War – Terry Pratchett
Books that I still want to buy to add to my collection:
- Turtle Recall – Terry Pratchett
- The world of Poo – Terry Pratchett
Yup, you did not believe me when I said I’m a compulsive reader, did you? I also read blogs, newspapers, interesting websites, handbooks (studying again), work documents, manuals, emails. I would shrivel up and die if I could not read. Kid you not. I really don’t want to prove this, but believe me, I would shrivel up and die a slow and agonizing death.
Books have always been my escape and my release. My salvation. Keeping me sane.
Who do you enjoy reading?